- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- Country: Turkey
- City: Istanbul, Turkey
- Office: UNDP in Istanbul, Turkey
Closing date: Tuesday, 18 May 2021
Job ID: 37257
Practice Area – Job Family: Poverty Reduction
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 18/05/2021
Duty Station: Istanbul, Turkey
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience, H-Some Graduate School – 1 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 1 year(s) experience
Languages: English, Turkish
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: Until 31.12.2021, with possibility of extension
Only Turkish citizens or other legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply. Qualified women and members of minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. UNDP is a non-smoking work environment.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) has a mandate to leverage the role of the private sector in development. The IICPSD was established in Istanbul, Turkey on the basis of the Partnership Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Turkey and the United Nations Development Program in March 2011. The center is one of the six global thematic centers of UNDP, advocating and facilitating the contribution of the private sector to human development and inclusive growth. More specifically, IICPSD’s main goals are to:
- Support the development of inclusive markets and inclusive business models that engage poor people into value chains as producers, employees, consumers and entrepreneurs, with the end goal of poverty alleviation.
- Creation of a demand driven set of tools and guidelines for engaging the private sector in development, in key markets that will be used as best practices guidelines.
- Become a hub for programmatic private sector partnership for SDG implementation across UNDP, by designing, establishing and monitoring concrete global and national public private partnerships that creates results for development.
- Establish IICPSD as a global Centre of excellence for dialogue on private sector development by convening business and supporting actors.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the IICPSD’s Deputy Director and Research Analyst, the Research Assistant will support the production of reports and knowledge management activities of IICPSD in impact investing area; toolkit and training development initiatives of the center, cooperation, technical advisory and implementation assistance offered to other UNDP units, including COs and RBx. The Research Analyst will conduct research on political, social and economic trends in impact investing thematic area of the Center and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of knowledge management activities within IICPSD’s mandate to enhance the role of private sector in development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of and reporting directly to the UNDP IICPSD Deputy Director, the Research Analyst will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following key functions:
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of the knowledge management strategies of IICPSD in impact investing thematic area
- Participation in the formulation, management and evaluation of knowledge management activities within IICPSD’s thematic areas
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top quality advisory services to the relevant stakeholders and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1) Ensures implementation of the strategies of IICPSD on the private sector’s role in impact investing in following areas:
- Thorough analysis and research of the role of private sector in impact investing, focusing on good practices and lessons learned that enhance inclusive growth
- Conduct research and support preparation of high quality policy and programme guidance material for fields such as innovative financing mechanisms, impact investing ecosystem.
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within these thematic areas.
- Conduct the necessary internal procedures related to editing, design, clearance of documents and advocacy materials;
- Contribute to the facilitation of partnerships and regularly cover industry related stories and their development impact through briefs and blogposts
2) Participates in the effective formulation, management and evaluation of knowledge management activities of the impact investing thematic area of IICPSD focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the IICPSD activities:
- Design and formulation of some parts of IICPSD activities within the area of responsibility, translating IICPSD’s priorities into local interventions and partnerships;
- Initiation of a project, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review;
- Application of conceptual models in support of partnership and intervention design;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of IICPSD activities in the knowledge management activities under the urbanization thematic area, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions;
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including reporting to higher level management of IICPSD.
3) Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization for impact investing thematic area;
- Create linkages with stakeholders for enhancing the impact of advocacy activities;
- Support communication, advocacy and outreach activities for their implementation in line with the respective guidelines of UNDP.
4) Provides top quality advisory services on private sector engagement in impact investing area to the relevant stakeholders and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues;
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the thematic areas;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings on the thematic area;
- Professional growth through active learning.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Collect, compile, interpret data and draw conclusions
Planning Organizing and Multitasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Interprets policies and guidance within context and applies with judgment and anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources
- Has knowledge on visibility standards and rules of UNDP
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s or higher degree in economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development or related field.
- License degree on economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree on management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development or related field is required.
- BA degree in economics and finance is desirable.
- 1 year of research experience in international development (with a preference for private sector development and impact investing) (applicable for candidates having license or Master’s degree) is required.
- 2 years of research experience in international development (with a preference for private sector development and impact investing) (applicable for candidates having bachelor’s degree) is required.
2) Proven experience in research and analysis of the impact investing ecosystem and financial tools as well as their relevance to the sustainable development is a requirement.
3) Experience in organization of events, conferences etc. is an asset.
4) Demonstrated knowledge on the design of research materials i.e. questionnaire, in depth interview guidelines, training materials etc. particularly in impact investing area is an asset.
5) Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, data entry and cleaning procedures, website maintenance, social media is an asset.
6) Islamic finance knowledge is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Turkish is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) is required.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems (i.e. ERP, Atlas, PeopleSoft programmes) is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.