Application deadline: 15 May 2020
Start date: between 1-15 October 2020
The Université libre de Bruxelles has created a Solidarity Fund in order to provide support for researchers who no longer have the freedom to pursue their research in their home country, where they are threatened due to the content of their scientific work or to the opinions they have freely expressed.
The Solidarity Fund provides postdoctoral fellowships enabling threatened academics to continue their work at ULB in a climate of academic freedom.
The solidarity fellowship consists in a one-year (12 months) postdoctoral position, amounting to 42,000 euros gross (approximately 29,000 euros net), plus a discretionary relocation allowance of 2,500 euros net (payable to researchers resident in another country, after their move to Belgium).
The recipients will carry out research in a ULB research centre, supervised by a member of the University’s academic staff. They may, if they so wish, take part in teaching activities or any other scientific activities organised on campus.
To be eligible for the position, applicants must:
- hold a PhD and occupy (or have occupied) a full time position in a university in their home country;
- be currently at risk in their home country due to the content of their work or to the ideas they have openly expressed;
- not have resided or carried out their main activity in Belgium (work, studies etc.) for more than 24 months during the 36 months immediately preceding the fellowship start date (mobility rule);
- not have obtained their PhD more than 8 years before the fellowship start date;
- hold a valid passport/travel document and be able to travel to Belgium;
- have a good knowledge of written and spoken English and/or French (minimum B2).Confirmation by an organization such as Scholars at Risk, the Scholar Rescue Fund, Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch that the candidate is at risk will be taken into consideration.
Applications must be submitted by 15 May 2020. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdcURSNA821d- Fc8fGt2xSi1u6uVz9tfrvcv1kXtDSVei50Eg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1
Applicants must submit the completed online application form
and send the following documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- a confidential application letter describing the researcher’s situation (the letter must clearlymention the applicant’s administrative situation, whether he/she has a valid passport, whether itis possible for him/her to travel and his/her current location);
- the applicant’s CV, including a list of publications;
- a brief description of the research project that the applicant will work on at ULB;
- a copy of the applicant’s PhD diploma;
- a copy of the applicant’s passport;
- a statement from an organisation such as Scholars at Risk, the Scholar Rescue Fund, AmnestyInternational or Human Rights Watch confirming that the candidate is at risk (if applicable)
- any other document deemed useful to support the application.Applicants must also ensure that the following documents are sent directly email@example.com by 15 May 2020:
- the form below, completed by the member of ULB academic staff who would supervise theirresearch;
- two reference letters from scientists working in the same field, including, if possible, one fromtheir PhD supervisor.Only complete applications, that include all the items listed above, can be taken into consideration.Calendar15 May 2020 – deadline for submission of applications June 2020 – selection committee meeting
End of June 2020 – notification by the selection committee 1-15 October 2020 – fellowship start date.Should the applicant be offered another position before the results of the ULB call for applications are communicated, he/she will inform ULB immediately, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.orgAll documents will be handled with the utmost confidentiality by the selection committee.For further information, please contact email@example.com
Assessment of the application – Solidarity Fund– Call 2020
Form to be completed by the ULB’s supervisor and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
By the 15th of May 2020, mentioning the candidate’s name in the subject of the message.
Surname, First Name of the candidate: Surname, First Name of the ULB’s supervisor:
Interest of the candidate’s research project for the ULB’s research team and articulation of the project with the other projects in progress in the research team.
Hosting arrangements and integration within the Research Centre. (Provision of an office, availability of the members of the research centre, involvement of the candidate in the research centre activities…)
Assessment of the candidate’s motivation and language skills (French and/or English) following a Skype interview.
Please indicate here any other information you consider relevant for the assessment
___________________________________________________________________________________________ For more information, please contact email@example.com
Main Research Field : ALL
Required educational level : Phd level in all Degree Fields
Required Languages :
French : Good or English : Good
Required Research Experience : (all fields) : (1-4 years)
Career Stage : R1 First stage researcher & R2 Recognized researcher
Minimum B2 level in French or English is required.