- ORGANISATION/COMPANY: Central European University GmbH
- RESEARCH FIELD: Political sciences › Governance Sociology › Socio-economic research
- RESEARCHER PROFILE: Recognised Researcher (R2)
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: 24/08/2021 00:00 – Europe/Athens
- LOCATION: Hungary › Budapest
- TYPE OF CONTRACT: Temporary
- JOB STATUS: Full-time
- HOURS PER WEEK: 40
- OFFER STARTING DATE: 01/09/2021
Starting date: Fall 2021, exact date negotiable
Application deadline: Open until filled, review of applications will start 23 August 2021
Full- Or Part-Time: Full-time
Term of engagement: Two years
The newly formed Democracy Institute (DI) at the Central European University (CEU) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow position within its workgroup, which investigates how different forms and experiences of inequalities shape political positions, debates, and agendas, and how they tailor the concepts and models of democracy. The position will combine research and organizational tasks. The successful candidate will be closely working with the lead researchers of the workgroup, and will be based in Budapest. We are particularly interested in hiring a post-doctoral fellow whose research agenda falls in one of the following broad topics: educational inequalities, labor, care work and labor rights, social justice and social movements.
Duties and responsibilities:
- The fellow will be invited to contribute to the research activities of the workgroup with their own scholarly undertakings. The fellow will also be able to pursue a new research initiative or continue one that is already in progress and relevant to the topics of inequalities and democracy, and is, additionally, expected to enhance their publication record.
- The fellow will be able to take advantage of the multidisciplinary composition of the Democracy Institute’s research profile and academic community, and to seek intellectual liaison with other workgroups.
- The fellow will contribute to organizing regular seminars and public events of the workgroup and assist in engaging the international research network of the core team.
- The successful candidate is expected to help with institution building efforts, the development of research project plans and funding proposals, as well as organizing brainstorming sessions and planning meetings.
- Depending on interest and capacities, the fellow can take part in educational activities such as mentoring readings/discussion groups of doctoral students, offering compact topical seminars to interested students in cooperation of the Inequalities workgroup and CEU departments/teaching programs, engage in other non-degree activities of the CEU (summer courses, academic preparation courses, etc.).
Candidates must have a PhD in hand, an outstanding research agenda, and a record of relevant and internationally recognized publications in the field. Experience in research planning and management is an advantage. Applicants must have excellent written and oral proficiency in English.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment. The employment contract is for two years.
How to apply:
Applicants need to submit:
- Letter of intent (max 2 pages)
- CV (max 6 pages)
- Statement of research plan in view of the research agenda of the DI’s Inequalities workgroup (Inequalities | CEU Democracy Institute).
- Two recent English language papers, chapters, or manuscripts that best represent their research.
- Names and contact details of three scholars who could supply recommendation letters in case the candidate is shortlisted for the job and available during the summer period. The referees will be contacted by CEU.
Please send your complete application package as one single pdf file to:
[email protected] – including job code in subject line: 2021/041.
Informal inquiries can be addressed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Violetta Zentai, [email protected].
The applications will be processed starting August 23, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
Central European University does not discriminate on the basis of—including, but not limited to—race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, gender and sexual orientation in administering its educational policies, admissions policies, employment, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us. We collect, use, and store your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the applicable data privacy rules, including specifically the General Data Protection Regulation. To learn more about how we manage your personal data during the recruitment process, please see our Privacy Notice at: https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice (Hungary: Közép-európai Egyetem, Central European University) or https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice-austria (Austria: Central European University, CEU Central European University Private University).
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
Central European University (CEU) is a research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, law, public policy and management. It is accredited in the United States, Austria and Hungary. CEU’s mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, research-based teaching and learning and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies. CEU offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs and enrolls more than 1,400 students from over 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of resident faculty from over 50 countries and prominent visiting scholars from around the world. The language of instruction is English.
For more information, please visit https://www.ceu.edu/.
About the Democracy Institute
The Democracy Institute, based in Budapest, strives to enable the renewal and strengthening of democratic and open societies through world-class research, collaboration across academic and professional disciplines, teaching and the free exchange of ideas, and public engagement on a local, regional, and global scale.